10 Effective Ways to Overcome Creative Blocks
Creative blocks are something that all artists, writers and creatives experience in their life or business at one point or another, so trust me when I say that you’re not alone.
However, you know as I know, that you’re here for a reason, you’re here to share your spiritual gifts and talents, and to give birth to a new life and reality through your craft.
And if you’re anything like me, then I know that there’s a fire within you that needs to be expressed, that the world absolutely needs to see, to feel, to hear. You just have to figure out how to express it in a way that it feels good and aligned for you.
That’s why I made this post, to help you overcome any creative blocks that may be preventing you or stalling you from reaching your full creative potential, sharing your spiritual gifts and shining your colorful and vibrant light in the world.
I want you to know that I’ve only written practices that I have personally used and that have worked for me and I hope they can support you in the same way they did me.
1. Ignite Flower Essence – is a truly energizing and enlivening boutique blend and one of my personal favorite essences to have as a creative entrepreneur. If you aren’t sure about what flower essences are you can read my post here.
Ignite Flower Essence is made with the energetic frequencies of fiery colored, high energy flowers and peppers such as Bee Balm, Habanero, Horseradish, Wild Rose, Indian Paintbrush, Nasturtium and Tithonian.
This flower blend was intentionally designed to stimulate the creative flow, tune you into your higher self, connect you to your true passions, and help you to clear stagnant energy.
Whenever I am experiencing a creative block, or I want to be inspired and “in the flow”, I use Ignite Flower Essence in conjunction with one or two of the practices I’ve mentioned below.
2. Laura Hollick’s Healing Ritual – If you don’t know who Laura Hollick is, she’s a multiple six-figure creative who focuses a lot of her work on healing and transformation through the arts and creative expression.
Laura has created a very Powerful Healing Ritual as an introduction to her Soul Art Certification. During the recording, Laura brings you into a heightened state of awareness to support you in gaining clarity around what needs to be healed, and then brings you even deeper to really initiate that energetic shift and transformation.
The reason why I mention this is because sometimes our creativity is blocked due to deeper, underlining issue that we may not even be aware of. And I’ve found that through this exercise, I was able to gain massive clarity around my truest desires and my next action steps. Beyond that, I was reconnected with my creative spirit and brilliant ideas and divine inspiration seem to just flow to and through me.
3. Seek Outside Inspiration – Sometimes to overcome your creative block, all you need is some inspiration. Inspiration can be found anywhere, but some of the greatest inspiration can be found when connecting to and conversing with like-minded people, listening to podcasts relevant to your niche or interests and even scrolling Instagram or Pinterest (intentionally).
4. Meditate – Meditation is a powerful practice that really allows you to let go of your thoughts and bring you into the present moment.
Sure, reaching deep levels of zen can take time but it’s not as hard as you might think.
There are many types of meditation that you might have not even thought about, such as coloring, painting, humming or dancing.
Meditation is not one thing OR a one size fits all, it’s whatever works for you. Whatever brings you out of your mind and into the present moment, IS meditation and it’s perfect.
5. Disconnect – It’s important to disconnect every now and then. That means taking a step away from your cell phone, laptop, social media and even the task at hand.
Sometimes these objects can be taking up energetic space and blocking inspiration (I go into this a little deeper on number 8).
But besides that, sometimes the best thing you can do is just say “f*** it”. I don’t know about you but often times when I seriously don’t care anymore, that’s when things come to me.
6. Move Your Body – Dance or Exercise
“Move yo’ body, girl. Makes the fellas go. Move yo’ body girl” -Nina Sky.
Did you hear this song in your head like I heard it in mine? Yes, girl! Get it!
So, although I personally prefer to dance because I feel it allows for more soulful expression, any type of movement whether it’s yoga or exercising or walking, is going to support you in coming into your body and restoring that vital life force energy which is going to of course open you up for more divine inspiration.
7. Go Out in Nature – I believe that Nature is the Gateway to Spirit. It allows you to really tune into the frequencies of the earth, and to hear the truth of your soul by taking you away from all of the artificial noise and lower vibrational experiences.
Beyond inspiring, nature can be very healing too. All you need to do is to open your heart and believe in the possibilities.
8. De-Clutter- De-Clutter Yo’ Space, De-Clutter Yo’ Mind
We often think we need more than we really do. The fact is, all of our belongings hold within them an energy and they can be taking up space & room for things and experiences that could better serve us and our current visions.
I’ve found that almost always when I give something away, something better comes my way (inspiration, ideas, objects that better support me in my current situation and even money).
Beyond physical decluttering, mind de-cluttering is a really effective tool in creating space for new ideas and inspiration as well. This can be done by doing a brain pour or free writing.
9. Create Art Freely – without judgement or attachment
Get out your art materials or try a new medium and just paint, scribble, color, zig zag--- whatever it is that you decide to do and do it all without judgement or pressure.
If you’d like, write down something you’d like to know prior to the session such as “What are my next steps for my business” or “what do I need to be inspired again?” And something might come up for you or it might not. Just do your best to not stay attached to the answer, rather really let yourself be present with your soul’s expressions.
10. Pray or Talk Out Loud – Sometimes I pray, sometimes I talk out loud. I find both to be very effective in really any given situation because what it’s actually doing is allowing you to voice what you need to express, and creating that space to let answers and ideas come to you.
This is somewhat similar to brain dumping, only it’s vocal and can sometimes feel even more calming and helpful. However, you get to decide what works best for you.
Be Mindful to Not:
- Force Things or Ideas
- Be too Hard on Yourself
When you begin to try and force things or ideas or you start to become angry or frustrated with yourself for your lack of creativity, you will only create more resistance to receiving that divine inspiration and really block the flow of creative ideas.
With that being said, sometimes tasks need to be done, regardless of if you’re experiencing a creative block or not. My advice for that is to consider if there are any other aspects of your business you can focus on at this time and if you can do that. If not, simply take a 15-30 minute break from the task at hand to do some of the things I mentioned above such as meditating, dancing or talking out loud.
I’d love to hear about things that you do to overcome creative blocks or if you found this blog post to be helpful, in the comments below. Feel free to ask questions (related or unrelated) and leave a link to your website or blog if you’d like. Chat soon!
Photo by Ella Jardim on Unsplash